Disclosure: We may earn from the outbound links on this post if you decide to shop from them.
Ray-Ban vs. Oakley head-to-head comparison. Ray-Ban and Oakley are one of the top sunglasses brands on the market. Both brands are owned by Luxottica Group – the world’s leader in premium fashion and sports eye-wear. They sell millions of sunglasses every year but still manage to have an almost entirely different customer base. It’s time to find out why?
At first, we will compare the main differences between Oakley’s and Ray-Ban’s. After that, we go through positive and negative factors of both brands’ sunglasses so you will get a firm knowledge of which one would suit better for your specific needs.
Best-selling Ray-Ban Sunglasses
Three hugely popular Ray-Ban styles. So you can feel the traditional “Ray-Ban look”.
- Ray-Ban New Wayfarer RB2132 #aff
- Justin RB4165 by Ray-Ban #aff
- RB4264 Chromance Lens by Ray-Ban #aff
Popular Oakley Sunglasses
Top-selling slim and light Oakley shades. Made to last.
What are the Main Differences Between Oakley & Ray-Ban Sunglasses?
The difference between Oakley and Ray-Ban sunglasses is quite enormous. Both represent a different part of the sunglasses market, so they target the opposing group of consumers, in most cases. Also, Oakley vs. Ray-Ban sunglasses in terms of lens and material technology differs a lot, mainly because they serve different purposes.
Who Prefers Oakley Sunglasses Over Ray-Bans
Oakley aims for sport-minded people. People who prefer performance over fashion. You may see them wear by famous athletes like Tiger Woods and Shaun White, numerous Tour de France cyclists. All kind of active-lifestyle people who wants to benefit from physical eye-protection and make sure their sunglasses cling to their face during sports activities.
Below is one of the top-selling Oakley design ever: Oakley Holbrook #aff.
Oakley’s lenses are made to take hits; they offer high strength as well as clarity. Oakley lenses offer unbeatable clarity and protection combination without sacrificing its optics too much. Several head-to-head tests, their extensive eye-wear patents (most in the world), and the truth they are one of the few brands that US military soldiers are allowed to wear in combat make Oakley the top choice for every active people.
How Ray-Bans Differ from Oakley’s
Ray-Bans, on the other hand, are mainly fashion-led, targeting those who are after luxury shades wear by numerous celebrities. They aim to be stylish, high-quality sunglasses for everyday use. No matter if you’re going to shop or job, to parties or funerals, to drive a car or boat. Ray-Bans are suitable for all occasions.
In the picture, you can see one of the most iconic Ray-Ban styles ever: Aviators RB3025 #aff.
If you’re interested in popular Ray-Ban Wayfarers, feel free to read our thorough head-to-head comparison New Wayfarer vs. Original Wayfarer.
Ray-Ban often uses crystal in their lenses, which is optically superior and allows them to turn almost any pair of sunglasses into prescription sunglasses. But still, they are much less technical in general than Oakley sunglasses.
Ray-Ban vs. Oakley – Pros and Cons
Despite both brands being high-quality sunglasses, Ray-Ban and Oakley represent the different edge of sunglasses markets. What’s “best” for someone depends on what is best for one’s specific needs. Anyway, here comes our “objective” pros and cons list.
- Lens clarity and strength. Oakley has a method to eliminate distortion on curved lenses to provide improved peripheral vision and side protection. Lenses are also made to endure high-speed object hits. Oakley lenses are ANSI Z87.1 licensed.
- Frame materials. Oakley sunglasses are highly technical, crafted from materials like titanium, high strength polycarbonate, and similar valuable compositions. If you accidentally sit on your shades, they hardly ever broke. Temple might snap out, but all you need is to clip it back.
- Sporty design. These are the sunglasses you want to wear while sailing, cycling, golfing, snowboarding; you name it. Oakley’s offer excellent durability, lightness, and clarity. They will sit on your face during the most dynamic performance. Oakley’s fresh, young, and futuristic design makes a statement that you’re active and healthy.
- Innovative technology. Oakley is improving its products every year. The eye-wear market unquestioned patent leader in numbers and quality. Numerous test wins in recent decades.
- Optics. Oakley sunglasses lenses do have a great optics, but when it comes to comparing them with crystal or glass lenses, they can’t beat Ray-Ban shades.
- Price. Oakley’s price level is on par with Ray-Ban, except when it comes to turning them into prescription sunglasses.
- Usability. You can wear Oakley sunglasses in many situations, but compared to Ray-Ban’s, they lose some ground. OK, most Ray-Ban sunglasses are not for sport, but most Oakley’s are not very suitable to wear with a suit or comparable stylish outfit.
- Timeless classic fashionable look. Ray-Bans have come a long way since 1937. Not any other sunglasses brand has as many product placements on films nor has been seen wear by as many celebrities as Ray-Bans has.
- Variety. Ray-Ban is a market leader in an extensive section of sunglasses. It has a stand out sunglasses designs for men, women, and children. Everyone is familiar with classic Wayfarers and Aviators, but they have a lot more hugely popular frame designs as well. Ray-Ban’s color, print, pattern, and material options for frames and lenses are also remarkably broad.
- Practicality and suitability. Ray-Ban sunglasses selection is outstanding. You can find practical and compact Folding Wayfarers, iconic Original Wayfarers for almost any event. They even have sports sunglasses collection for sporting activities.
- Optics. Most Ray-Bans comes with high-quality crystal lenses. You can quickly turn them into prescription sunglasses with a little bit cheaper price than Oakley sunglasses.
- Strength and curves. Ray-Ban’s lenses are usually made of crystal. It gives superior optics but lacks safety and curves. Lenses are also heavier and may break more easily. Ray-Ban still uses steel hinges to attach temples into the frame, so they may break if you sit on them.
- Technology improvements. Ray-Ban does an extensive amount of research every single year. Still, as we are comparing it to Oakley, it seems Oakley is always one step ahead. Ray-Ban sticks to already proven formulas, and their focus is to create timeless, long-lasting designs. Oakley is a forerunner in the technology field.
- Too conservative. People who love Ray-Bans think they are iconic and classic. In turn, there are a lot of young people and tech-focused guys who refuse to wear them until they turn over 30, if ever.
Which Brand is Better
So, it’s time for the conclusion. Which brand is better: Oakley or Ray-Ban?
As always, it’s a matter of taste and specific needs, who prefers Ray-Ban’s over Oakley’s and vice versa. Anyhow, most people who are outdoor enthusiastic or active in sport, prefer Oakley sunglasses.
On the other hand, people who like to spend their time in bars, coffee shops, walking or driving in the city may prefer Ray-Bans. And, there’s a lot of us who own sunglasses of both brands and use them in “right” occasions. Better try both and decide yourself!